Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Starring my Brother . . .


Why is there a picture of Monty Python's SPAMALOT on my blog, you ask?  Because if you look ever so closely at the grail, just to the right of King Arthur, you will see MY BROTHER, who will be playing Patsy in this production in Ogunquit, Maine. 
You may also recognize Charles Shaunessy as the father from the series "The Nanny."  He is a well known Broadway performer, as is Rachel York, who I know as Margurite from The Scarlet Pimpernel. 
This is a big deal for my wonderful brother, who has been auditioning in New York for over 8 months straight, without a single sign of hope.
Then all at once, he was given a job in My Fair Lady at a regional theater.  He was asked to come back to Jackson to perform as Buffalo Bill in Annie Get Your Gun; he was asked to audition for How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying in New York.  He got an agent (which is much more about the agent picking you than you picking the agent.)  And then, he was called - virtually out of the blue - to play the role of
Patsy in SPAMALOT.
Oh, and did I mention that he was also asked to Franki Camp?  It's a five day long "audition" where he learns the music and mannerisms of Franki Vallie (you know, "Walk Like a Man?")  This is awesome because Franki is the LEAD character in the Broadway production Jersey Boys, and my talented little brother is considered for such a role.  It's due in large part to his VERY impressive vocal range. 
I'm just so happy for him. 
He has worked very hard at a very hard business.  And after years of trying, learning, taking classes, getting to know people and proving to those people that he's in it for the long haul, he is getting his first big chance. 
I will keep you posted with any further pictures or clips I can find online. 

As I have said, this has been an INCREDIBLE summer for the Stevens Family. 

2 comments:

Lori said...

that's fantastic!!! i can't imagine how incredible it feels for him to get this opportunity. awesome!

W/Love K said...

The others I'm not as familiar with, but I have to know which part he got in My Fair Lady. And did he get the main part in How to succeed in business without really trying? One of my favorite musicals of all time.