Thursday, September 1, 2011

Jack Out of the Box

It has happened.  My sister has had a baby.  It's surreal.  Uh, I'll just tell the story:

AJ got the idea to make this brilliantly clever shirt just two days before she was set to have her baby.
 She and Scott had done numerous polls on his blog to choose the baby's name, and finally settled on Jack for three reasons: 1.  Jack Sparrow, 2.  Jack Skellington, and 3.  Jack Stevens (our grandfather; I'm guessing you know the other two.)  It was pretty funny. 
And Brogurt liked standing on his cousin. 

 Things were not progressing quite as naturally as one would like, so a week past AJ's due date, she checked into the hospital where they started her on drugs to hopefully induce labor.  Here she is at the beginning of the 12 hour process:  high spirited!
She had her iPod going with carefully chosen birthing songs, to which she sang between pushes.
 Then, at 9:38pm, Jack was born!  8lbs 13oz 21 inches long.  Look at all that hair!

I got to go in an see her just minutes after he was born.  It was incredible....


He was SO aware; eyes open, looking around and ready for bear...
 And looking a LOT like his big sister.

Hello, Jack!  It is I, your Auntie.....
(That's what AJ has always said to my kids.  It was so cool to get to say it to hers.)

And Proud Papa...

The Bredthauer Four.
  First family picture, the next day.  Lucy was just so excited to see Ariane. 
As I hear the story, when they called to check on her during labor she yelled into the phone,
"Baby Jack, come out so I can play with my Mom!"